Every member of the SF State community plays a part in helping the University reach its sustainability goals. Make a difference by engaging in a student group, joining a committee, or reducing your campus footprint.
Join sustainability organizations and committees
AS Environmental Resource Center
The Associated Students Environmental Resource Center leads student sustainability initiatives. Volunteer, apply for internships, and attend their events.
Climate HQ was created to empower SF State's diverse students, staff, and faculty to become Climate Justice Leaders. They created the Climate Change Certificate which open to students of all majors.
Campus Sustainability Committee
The Campus Sustainability Committee sets goals for the campus, creates new sustainability initiatives, and monitors our progress. Members include students, faculty, and staff.
Transportation Demand Management Committee
The TDM Committee works to encourage sustainable, safe, and convenient commutes to campus. Members include students, faculty, and staff.
Get involved with campus sustainability
- Take a sustainability-focused class. Find a list of environmental sustainability classes here.
- Major or minor in a sustainability subject, such as Environmental Studies, Ecology, Urban Studies, Geography, and more. Find the Acedemic Bulletin of majors here.
- Earn a Climate Change Certificate. This certificate gives students a foundational understanding of climate change’s causes, effects, and solutions so they can take action in their communities There is no need to apply for or declare the certificate, just complete the courses!
- Get involved with Climate HQ and Environmental Resource Center events and initiatives.
Faculty & Staff
- Invite the Office of Sustainability as guest speakers.
- We keep a count of sustainability-focused classes and research. Make sure your sustainability classes and research are on the list.
- Have items in your office that are no longer being used? Need something for your workspace but your budget is maxed? Join our free ReUse listserv! Just post an item and hopefully someone across campus can use it or someone has the item you need.
Reduce our campus footprint
Make campus more sustainable through simple everyday actions. Have a tip you don't see here? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Walking, biking, riding transit, and carpooling are powerful ways to reduce your carbon footprint.
Turn off lights, printers, and other electronics in your office or residence. This saves energy and money while reducing our carbon footprint.
Check out the Sustainable SF State training below!
Reduce your waste by refusing single use items. Bring your own bottle, mug, bag, and utensils-- most campus food vendors give a 25¢ discount for bringing your own! No plastic bags or straws are offered on campus.
Connect with us
Request a presentation for your class or meeting. We can provide sustainability trainings, class project collaborations, and guest lectures.